Country Style Dumpling Recipe
by Amy Beh
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 25g dried shrimps, soaked, drained and coarsely chopped
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and halved
- 10 mini scallops, soaked and tear into shreds
- 10 dried oysters
- Dried bamboo leaves and hempstrings, soaked and scalded in hot water
- 450g glutinous rice, soaked
- 50g split green peas (lok tau peen) soaked
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 80g roast pork, cubed
- 75g roast duck meat, cubed
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Dash of monosodium glutamate
- 1/2 tsp thick soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling, heat oil and sesame oil, and saute garlic until lightly golden. Add dried shrimps, dried scallop shreds, dried oysters and mushrooms. Fry until fragrant. Add seasoning (B) to mix then dish out and put aside.
Add salt, pepper and sesame oil to rice and split green peas.
Fold two pieces of bamboo leaves into a cone, add two tablespoons rice. Top up with a tablespoon of filling and a piece of roast pork and roast duck. Add two tablespoons rice again.
Wrap and secure with hempstrings. Finish up with the rest of rice and filling.
Boil dumplings in plenty of water. Add 1 tablespoon salt to the water. Reduce to low heat and boil dumplings for 1 1/2 hours until they are cooked.