(Enough for 4 person and to keep for next day)
- Chicken (I chose 8 chicken drumsticks, 2 ribs, 2 wings)
- 2 serai (lemon grass) (smash)
- Additional 2 cups of grated coconut to put into curry for better texture and taste
- 3 tbsp of kari daging (meat curry) (Babas Brand) or any brands of meat curry powder
- 1/2 cup of air asam jawa (tamarind juice) (sieve)
- 2 slice asam gelugor (tamarind peel)
- 3 tbsp of kerisik too lazy so i just buy 2 packet of kerisik, simple! (or you can grate coconut which is toasted and pounded into oily texture) (buy 2 small packets) (toast it in wok until brownish, then use pestle and mortar to pound until it started to get oily and gummy, it’ll take a veryyyyyyyyyyyy long time, till you hand sore)
- 2 coconut milk (500ml) (from 2 coconuts)
- 6 potatoes (cut halves) (smaller size potatoes taste much better compare to BIG ones)
- 4 brothers spices (cengkih, lawang, pelaga, kayu manis)
- Daun Kari (curry leaves) a bunch
- 1 Tomato
- 1 whole gula melaka (palm sugar)
- 3 tbsp of tempoyak (without tempoyak it wouldn’t taste good)
- 2 daun kunyit (turmeric leaves)
- 1 tbsp of cili powder
- 2 tbsp of japanese miso (for extraordinary flavor) hard to explain.. u have to try and taste
- 3 tbsp of salt (using sea salt, if you’re using normal salt taste and reduce)
Ingredients B: To Blend
- 20 red onions (medium size)
- 2 bulb garlic
- 2 inch kunyit hidup (turmeric)
- 3 cm lengkuas (galangal)
- 2 cm halia (ginger)
- 4 serai (hiris) (lemon grass)
- 3 tbsp of belacan (dried shrimp paste) (roasted on dry wok) (Whiter belacan is grade A (higher grade and smell really nice), lower grade belacan color is darker from mixture of darker color fish and shrimp and smell horibble), if you go malacca, u can purchase whiter version of belacan and it taste really good. Local ones in KL are mostly darker ones, try to get in pasar tani i’m sure they have whiter version.
- 2 of each cili merah & cili hijau (red chilies and green chilies)
- 20 cili padi (bird’s eye chilies) (reduce 10 nos if you don’t like it hot)
- 15 cili kering (dried chilies)
- 2 tbsp of coriander seeds (ketumbar), 1 tsp of halba (fenugreek), 1 tsp of jintan putih (cumin)
- Wash chicken parts and marinate with 1 tbsp of salt and ginger juice for 15-20 mins.
- Start to blend the above ingredients
- Next, pour 4 tbsp to 5 tbsp of cooking oil into wok, heat it up
- Put in 4 brothers spices (cengkih, lawang, pelaga, kayu manis)
- Then, put in blended ingredients
- When oil separate from chilies, put in all the other ingredients chickens, potatoes etc
- Let it cook until meat tender. (Chicken meat cook quicker than beef meat)
- Lastly put in coconut milk, cook for a while then served with bread or rice.
Tips: Steam back this curry chicken the next day, taste even better.
Tips: No need to remove chicken outer later skin as this will make this dish look shiny with oil and taste even more delicious. Once a while eat it’s okay, no worries.
Tips: Use medium fire to slowly cook to tender.