Photo: Day 20th – Glutinous Red Rice Wine harvested
Before you start making you own glutinous red rice wine, make very sure all utensils are DRY – DRY – DRY and CLEAN.
- 1kg glutinous rice
- 75g ang kek bee (red yeast rice)
- 2 big pieces jiu piah (wine cake) and 1 smaller version of jiu piah
- 1 big glass or clay container or glass container with cover
- Wash and soak glutinous rice for at least 3 hours
- Steam the rice for 45 min (Water should be 1cm above rice)
- Loosen and spread the rice out to cool completely (If it’s hot, you’ll kill the yeast)
- Use pestle and mortar to pound wine cakes and the red yeast rice and pour the resulting pink powder into a big bowl
- Wet your hand in cooled boiled water (To kill bacteria)
- Take cooled cooked glutinous rice and coat with pink powder you have pounded earlier.
- Put the pink powder coated glutinous rice into a clay or glass container
- Continue coating and placement into container until all powder and rice used up.
Watch how i mix everything together
- If you accidentally drop rice onto floor, throw it away because there could be bacteria and it’ll run you whole wine making process.
- Make sure you don’t tighten your container cap as fermentation will produce gas and it you tighten it will explode.
- Place container in a cool dark place for 7 days. On the 7th day, stir mixture you’ll see a thick layer on top. Stir it. and let it continue ferment.
- Note: If you see mold appearing on the top layer of your red rice wine, just use a “dry and clean” chopstick or any fork or spoon to stir it into the bottom. Wine will kill the mold.
- Set aside until 20th day.
- On the 20th day, you can harvest your wine.
Harvesting the Ang Chow and Wine (Day 20)
Place a sieve on a pot and drain the red glutinous rice wine until all liquid wine is in the pot. Place red residue the lees into jar and store inside fridge. This lees residue is the main ingredient for making Foochow cuisine Ang Chow Mee Sua soup, which are usually served during auspicious day such as birthdays or weddings.
By now your wine will be cloudy. Leave it in cool dark place and it’ll’ sink to the bottom.
You can used lees to marinate chicken meat and wine to drink on its own. It’s continue mature after months.
Glutinous red rice wine is especially good for mother’s who are in their confinement period as it gives them strength and energy.
Steaming glutinous rice