“Pillow Zongzi” or “Zhentouzong” or pillow-shaped Zongzi or pillow chung or pillow dumplings are all the same, it’s wrap using lotus leaves and bamboo leaves.
Method of wrapping a pillow zongzi is very easy, it’s like wrapping a rectangular gift box.
Take a look at how i wrap my pillow chung
- Place a big lotus leaf on the table
- Use 4 bamboo leaves lay the position as below
- Put glutinous rice first, then add all your ingredients or fillings above
- After you place all your ingredients above your glutinous rice.
- Don’t forget to cover above with some glutinous rice
- Then start to wrap.
- You will need 2 person to wrap this pillow bak chang
- Wrap both sides (left and right) side first, then put 2 more bamboo leaves on top to cover top area, afterwards proceed to fold top and bottom of the bamboo leaves. (** Cut sharp pointy stem from the bamboo leaves with a scissors for easy wrapping)
- Afterward, wrap left and right side of lotus leaf, then proceed to fold top and bottom of the lotus leaves.
Easy right? Just like wrapping a gift box.
How to tie a pillow bak chang
Dad taught me a very easy way to tie the pillow chung using lesser cotton string.
- Divide string into 5 parts
- Tie each one separately.
- You need to tie it tightly, 2 person is needed here.
- Cooking time: 2 hours using pressure cooker (Add salt into water for better taste)
It’s the biggest Bak Chang i’ve ever eaten! Yummilicious