- 1 cup of Red beans + 1/2 cup of Big Red beans/kidney beans
- 1 cup of Black Glutinous Rice
- 4 Pandan Leaves – tear middle 3 parts and tied knot
- 1/2 Gula Melaka + sugar
- Ginger juice 3-4 inch
- 1 fresh squeeze Santan (250ml)
- handful of longan
- dried mandarin oranges peel (You can replace with sunkist orange peel, but it won’t taste as good as using mandarin oranges peel)
- Red bean and Kidney Beans soaked overnight. (Do not throw the water away, used it to boil your red beans) – remember to remove bubbles on top to avoid stomach gas problem.
- Black Glutinous Rice soaked overnight [Used back to boil]
- Remove water and keep aside, now you need to dry toast your black glutinous rice in your wok for 5 mins for better aroma and taste
- Boil your red bean + kidney beans with your soaked red beans water first
- Then add toasted black glutinous rice
- Add longan, pandan leaves and dried mandarin oranges peel
- Boil for about 20 mins to 30 mins – check water level, if it’s too low, add remaining soaked water from black glutinous rice which you’ve kept aside before this.
- Add 1/2 palm sugar / gula melaka with 3 tbsp of white sugar (if its too sweet, add more water)
- Prepare your ginger juice (4 cm x 4 cm) – cut it small and crush with pestle and mortar and squeeze our juice – pour into your pot
- Purchase fresh grated coconut from grocery store and squeeze with a muslin cloth. You will get approximately 250ml from 1 coconut.
- Serve your Red beans and Black Glutinous Rice Dessert with your favourite fruits eg: banana, mango or even ice cream/tong yuen/sweet potato/lotus seed (gingko nuts).
- Remaining coconut after you have squeeze out coconut milk can be used to make coconut filling.
- 1 grated coconut
- 1/2 palm sugar / gula melaka
- 1 pandan leaf
- 1 dried mandarin oranges peel
- Melt your palm sugar/ gula melaka first then mix with pandan leaves/ screwpine/ pandanus, mandarin oranges peel